Snifforum

• The Scent ... puppy biting

• melissa
    Sniffa Since Nov 10Dog Owner
  • hello
    basiclly i have a 8week old staffy and am having a lot of trouble with her biting and growling. she has biten my 3years old sons face and at my wits end. this is the first dog ive own and have no idea how to stop this

melissa
    Posted 09/11/2010 19:16

• Sniff 1 Posted 11/11/2010 17:35

• Alpha Dog Behaviour
    Sniffa Since Oct 09Super SniffaTheSniffa.com Dog ExpertDog Business
  • Hi Melissa.

Hmmmm. Well this is serious really isn't it? Not the best start you wanted and for your son's face to be bitten you must be really upset, and confidence in the dog knocked heavily.

A dog at 8 weeks (assuming half well bred and healthy) should still be correctable. My problem in trying to address this matter online is really what I can't see and advise for...I'm always at a huge disadvantage when replying online.

The safest advice I could give is to say that this is not working out and to send the dog back to the breeder now now rather than later. Alternatively (funds allowing) you need an assessment in the home, and advice to get the family (dog included) on the right tracks for a better future.

If you'd like to call me for free initial help please feel free to do so. 01299 404356 or 0775 909 3394.

HTH,

Nick

Alpha Dog Behaviour

• Sniff 2 Posted 12/11/2010 09:13

• melissa
    Sniffa Since Nov 10Dog Owner
  • thank you for replying. its more when shes excited and this is the first staff ive owned, and basiclly need some advice on how 2 stop this happening again. i understand puppys will chew and bite but 2 how much is normal. the vet has told me to get chews and lots of toys as she may be teething

melissa
    In reply to Alpha Dog Behaviour

• Sniff 3 Posted 12/11/2010 10:58

• Alpha Dog Behaviour
    Sniffa Since Oct 09Super SniffaTheSniffa.com Dog ExpertDog Business
  • Never leave the puppy and child alone together. This may sound an obvious thing to say, but it can happen. Supervise very closely the interaction the two have. Both child and puppy will need your direction..

Crate the dog when you are busy and can not supervise.

Your vet is a genius! Of course the dog is teething! They are teething machines throughout the first year, so always have rope raggie toys to hand when interacting so you can put that in your dog's mouth and not skin or clothing. No tug of war games please as this encourages a hard mouth when interacting. I don't allow teeth on skin AT ALL. I say firmly 'No biting' and walk away. Walking away should be sufficient at this age as the dog will not (hopefully anyway) have learnt that it can gain the upper hand and simply carry on.

You must avoid excessive or over excitable play in the home! This is when accidents can happen. Nurture a calm gentle side in your dog...this goes such a long way in the long term formation of your dog's attitude.

Thanks,

Nick

Alpha Dog Behaviour
    In reply to melissa

• Sniff 4 Posted 03/03/2011 19:12

• Livingwithwolves
    Sniffa Since Mar 11Dog BusinessDog Owner
  • Steady there tiger..................this is an eight week old pup we're talking about. (Well it was when this was posted)

I would have thought you would have asked several pertinent questions prior to making your suggestion to return this pup to the breeder, such as 'how did it happen', ' did the bite break the skin', 'was it a proper bite or one delivered in play', 'what was the child doing to exact this kind of response' etc, etc. As we all know, 'bite inhibition' is learnt from litter mates but some dogs take longer than others to learn this important behaviour. If it is a lack of bite inhibition then this can still be taught to the pup using techniques that it would recognise from being with it's litter mates. Pups, regardless of breed will always bite or mouth as that is one of their ways of learning about their enviroment.

Livingwithwolves
    In reply to Alpha Dog Behaviour

< Back to General Discussion